Lots of people have asked about the day-to-day workings of an indie label, so I thought I'd start giving a little running commentary of just exactly what it is I do around here.
Captain's Logs are written sporadically and tend to get skipped if I'm insanely busy or am doing a lot of computer consulting (and hence very little Racer work).
I'll try to post this as consistently as possible until I forget to do it, I run out of time, or I find out people think it's incredibly pretentious and boring.
Comments and questions are heartily encouraged.
* lots of work on my consulting project
* Got and filled an order.
* Called a buyer for Musicland to tell him about the places where Big Umbrella is getting airplay.
* Talked with a guy in a band that has sent me a demo before, and wanted to know if I wanted their latest demo. His band is really active, playing all over the place - they're about to tour Europe. I told him I definitely wanted to hear their latest tape.
* Talked with a consulting client.
* Talked to the West Coast manager at Caroline about what's going on with their warehouse consolidation, and about the problems with getting Big Umbrella's CD to show up in Caroline's computers.
* Talked with a couple of buyers at one-stops who are customers of Caroline. I offered to start sending them our weekly fax showing where we're getting airplay, and to let them know when I call record stores and encourage them to order the disc.
* Got and filled an order.
* Talked with one of the Caroline sales reps.
* Talked with Russ about sending packages to a couple of clubs he wants to play and about a possible contact in the LA press.
* Sent an e-mail to a club in Sacramento where Russ wants Big Umbrella to play.
* Got a message from a guy who had seen Big Umbrella in Tacoma and talked to the guy who does the new music show on KISZ, who now would like a copy of Big Umbrella's CD for consideration for his show.
* Talked with Russ about his calls to the press in LA (he's helping me out with LA press to take a bit of the load off of me)
* Made plane reservations for my trip to LA next week
Lots of people came to see them, and after a really long and trying day, it was just wonderful for me to get to see this band, the band that made me want to start a label - they sounded so good, they seemed to enjoy themselves, the sizeable crowd had a terrific time, and it was just a perfect evening.
* Got a message from a consulting client about getting a new version of their project from me.
* Left a message for the buyer at Wherehouse Records who wants to order Big Umbrella CDs, asking if he could help with getting things straightened out with Caroline.
* Spoke with another consulting client about their current project.